Thursday, May 7, 2009

Community Service Essay

Helping others is a big key in today's society and is a fantastic virtue to have. When you help others, you don't only make them feel better, you make yourself feel better also. Volunteer work is a big part of our world today. Without it, a lot of things would not get accomplished. With that, comes community service. Community service is defined by freedictionary.com as being services volunteered by individuals or an organization to benefit a community or its institutions. Community service impacted my self-being drastically and makes me want to volunteer for more.

Volunteering for community service can make a big difference in one's life. Especially when one is needing help from others when he cannot manage to take care of himself. For example, Corben Brooks is a football player and student at Mt. Shasta who was injured in a football scrimmage. He is now paralyzed from the neck down and his parents needed help. With this, our football team, all who volunteered their time freely, decided to make a contribution. Our football program decided to hold a car wash for the Brooks' family and make a competition with Central Valley to see who can raise more money. When the day came, everybody was their an hour early to start raising money. It was a great experience in the thought that people who didn't even know Corben Brooks, were working hard to raise money for his cause. With my perspective, I had a great life experience because I saw a community of people help out another person who was not part of their community. When a tragic accident occurs like Corben's, I have noticed that people do have good in their hearts and will contribute to the cause.

My time spent with community service taught me a lot about myself. In the fact that many people need help and I will definitely be there for them. When I was participating in my community service I noticed that I was making a big differee in someone's life. For instance, I helped on the Oiler workday and we had to clear out a huge irrigation sytem for this ranch. Without the irrigation system cleared out, the ranch would not be able to distribute water to it's cattle and agriculture. Our football team and I realized that without our help, the ranchers would have to do the work of 60 people. We felt good about ourselves in that we helped a small community in their time of need.

When I helped out at the blood drive, I found out a lot about helping others. For instance, when I saw students and teachers giving blood, I thought to myself that these people were going to save lives. Helping others is a good dead to accomplish. When one helps out someone else, it makes them feel better about themselves. Many people in the world need help and people to reach out to these people.

No comments: